Tips to Cure Eyebrow Dandruff
Dandruff is a type of fungal infection which affects the skin of scalp, eyelids, eyebrow, ear, nose sides, facial skin, beard and hair bearing parts of chest. It is also known as seborrheic dermatitis or just seborrhea. The problem of dandruff is faced by everyone at one or other point in their life time and this condition does not depend on age, sex or ethnicity. Dandruff is the formation of white powdery scales at the fungus-infected area. Among all the dandruff problems, eyebrow dandruff is the most annoying one. This spoils the entire facial look as the white powdery cells which are formed on the eyebrow, make the eyebrow hair white and itchy.
What are the Symptoms of Eyebrow Dandruff?
These symptoms are divided into two categories: mild symptoms and chronic symptom.
Initial Mild Symptoms:
- Increased tearing
- Dry and crusted eyebrows
- Burning sensation in eyes
- Minor irritation
- Red and swollen eyebrows
- Missing eyebrow hair
- Inflammation of other eye tissues.
What are the Tips to Cure Eyebrow Dandruff Problem?
Cure depends on the type of seborrhea you have. There are many medical cures as well as home remedies to cure this problem.
We will first discuss the home remedies as they are cheap and can be done sitting at home:
- Apply warm compress to the eyebrows. Take a cotton pad and put it in warm salted water. Squeeze the extra water and compress this warm cotton pad on your eyebrows till you feel the warmth.
- Apply lemon juice on your eyebrow and let it dry. With the help of cotton wipe it after 20 minutes. Repeat this for one week regularly.
- Application of vinegar is also a very good home remedy. The process is similar to that of lemon juice application.
- You can even apply a little amount of henna paste as they cool down the itchiness and redness. This calms down the irritation.
- Application of camphor powder also shows very good results. Make a paste of camphor powder with water and apply it on your eyebrows for 30 minutes. Rinse it with normal water. In case the condition is only mild, apply this twice a week, and for chronic cases, apply it every alternate day.
- Use of amla paste (Emblica Officinalis) is yet another best remedy for dandruff. Soak four pieces of amla overnight in water. Make a thick paste of these amlas after taking out their seeds. Apply this paste and rinse it off with normal water once it dries. Apply every day if you are having chronic symptoms or else using this paste every alternate day cures and prevents the recurrence of dandruff problem.
- Using antifungal creams on your eyebrows can be beneficial, provided the cream is prescribed by a dermatologist. Keep the safety of your eyes as the top most priority.
- Pay attention to your day to day hygiene. Keep your self and your surroundings clean and well maintained.
Medical cures for eyebrow dandruff:
- Wash your eyebrows with mild therapeutic shampoo on everyday basis. These shampoos are prescribed by dermatologists depending upon the type of dandruff you are suffering from.
- Topical application of mild cortisone cream, hydro cortisone lotion (1%) or Cortaid for 2 to 4 weeks.
- Apply cortisone cream minimum 3 times a day which will help reduce the inflammation.
- If your eyebrow dandruff has become very chronic and is affecting your entire face, use a medicated shampoo like ketoconazole (nizoral).
Try and avoid oily food products as they worsen the condition. Dandruff problem cannot be cured overnight, so have patience. You will need a long term skin and hair care program which will help in permanently curing the problem.
It is not enough just to cure eyebrow dandruff temporarily. You also need to learn how to prevent its recurrence. You can do this by reading our related article How to Prevent Recurrence of Eyebrow Dandruff