refers to severe inflammation of the eyelashes causing red, itchy eyelashes. There is formation of white powdery scales on eyelashes which cause difficulty in vision as well as opening of eyes. This is even called as Blepharitis and has 2 types:
This affects the front portion of the eyelashes. This is caused by seborrheic dermatitis (similar to dandruff) and infection by Staphylococcus bacteria.
This occurs on the posterior side of the eyelashes. The area where the eyelids touch the skin of eye. This is caused by the oil glands present at the posterior end. It is by far the most common type of blepharitis.
What are the Symptoms of Eyelash Dandruff?
Symptoms of this are divided into 2 categories:
1. Initial Mild Symptoms
- burning sensation in eyes
- increased tearing
- red and swollen eye
- dry and crusted eyelids
- For few its only minor irritation and itching
2. Chronic Symptoms
- blur vision
- missing eyelashes
- inflammation of other eye tissue, like the cornea
What Causes Dandruff on Eyelashes?
- Anterior blepharitis is caused by bacteria called staphylococcus blepharits. It may also occur due to a combination of factors like allergies or lice on the eyelashes.
- Posterior blepharitis is caused by increased oil production by the glands of the eyelids which makes a adaptive environment so that the infectious bacteria can grow faster.
What are the Treatments to Solve this Problem?
Treatment depends on the type of blepharitis you have. But common treatments are:
- Applying warm compress to the eyelids.
- Cleansing the eyelashes.
- Using an antibiotic and massaging the lids. Keeping the safety of eyes as priority.
- Paying extra attention to good hygiene.
Eyes are the beauty enhancer for everyone. Take good care of them so that you get a â€œkiller lookâ€.