Although Lasik eye surgery procedure is irreversible and safe, but still there could some long term post-surgery complications and risks. All the long term complications are still to be documented. There are only 3 to 6% chances of unsolved post-operative complications occurring in the patients who have undergone Lasik.
After Lasik Surgery Risks and Complications
Here is the list of some frequently occurring post-operative risks and complications.
- Under or over corrections
- Dry eyes
- Increased light sensitivity
- Double vision
- Induced astigmatism
- Fluctuations in visual accuracy
- Presence of debris or wrinkles below the corneal flap
- Epithelium erosion
- Detachment of the posterior vitreous
- Hole in the macula
Advantages and Disadvantages of Lasik Eye Surgery
Below are the major advantages and disadvantages of Lasik eye surgery.
Advantages of Lasik Surgery
- Lasik eye surgery is completed within 30 minutes and it is highly effective.
- The technical advancement of Lasik surgery significantly reduces clinical risks after the refractive surgery.
- Surveys show that 92-98% of the patients are satisfied after the surgery.
Disadvantages of Lasik Surgery
- Lasik surgery is irreversible and performed on the most sensitive part of the eye.
- Lasik surgery is not permanent and later the patient may have to use glasses.
- Insurance policies do not cover Lasik surgery.
- To get the best results of Lasik, the patient may require undergoing an enhancement or additional surgery.