Pink eye is highly contagious common eye problem. It is also called as Conjunctivitis, Madras eyes or bloodshot eyes. Pink eyes or conjunctivitis is an inflammatory infection of the conjunctiva of the eye. Mainly the infection is caused by viruses but other causes could be bacteria or allergens. In conjunctivitis your eyes tend to become red, itchy, watery, and light sensitive.
Here is the list of some natural home remedies which would be helpful in curing pink eye.
- Prepare a poultice of grated raw but red potato or grated apple and put it on your closed infected eyes for Â½ an hour. And you would find favorable results within 2-3 days.
- Twice in a day take a cup of Indian Gooseberry juice mixed with 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Vitamin C enhances the healing process. So increase your Vitamin C dose during the pink eye condition. Take at least 2-6000 mg of Vitamin C.
- Cool Chamomile tea can be used twice in a day as eyewash for curing pink eyes.
- Prepare a decoction of handful of coriander in about 60 ml of water. It serves as superb eyewash and it is highly beneficial to reduce swelling and pain and relieves you from the burning sensation in the eyes.
- Eyebright plant is highly effective in treating pink eyes. To 1 tablespoon of boiled water add 3-4 drops of eyebright tincture. When sufficiently cool you can bathe your eyes with this mixture.
- To treat the infected eye use Goat milk yogurt as poultice daily.
- You should eat rich sources of Vitamin A and B2 such as whole milk, almonds, pumpkin, curd, butter, tomatoes etc.
- Vegetable juices are highly beneficial in treating pink eye condition. Mix 300ml of carrot juice to 200ml of spinach juice. Drink this mixture of juice daily.
- Apply lotion made from Vitamin A on styes.
- Use Calendula as a compress or eyewash.
- Add 2 teaspoon of chamomile flower, 2 cups of boiling water and 1 teaspoon of Oregon grape root, and keep it for 20 minutes. After it cools down strain it, use it as eyewash.
Even after following the above home remedies, if the condition still persists then you should consult your ophthalmologist immediately.
Pink Eye Prevention Tips
Though pink eyes is common and contagious, by following few simple precautionary steps it can be prevented.
- Wash your hands and face with a good antiseptic soap.
- Try to utilize single-use towels during the diseased condition as this would check the spreading of the infection.
- Protect your eyes from various allergens, sun exposure, dust, etc.
- You can even take preventive homeopathic and ayurvedic medicines.
- Use clean cloth to remove the eye discharge.